This week I intended to start on the adventures of Boo’s basket but the unexpected happened and we ended up in hospital. But when I thought about it I realised it was the perfect opportunity to have an adventure to remind her of home.
So while Mr FD spent some time at the hospital with Ms A I nipped home for an hour…
I talked to the children and it was decided that we wanted Ms A to feel at home in the hospital. We discussed how we could do this and came up with Boo’s ‘no place like home’ basket. We collected things to remind Ms A of home. Everyone chose something.
Here’s what we included:
- A picture from our bedroom wall – we co-sleep so it is a familiar thing for her to see if she wakes up at night
- Photos of her siblings
- Her brother’s train driver’s hat because he’s always wearing it around the house and trying to put it on her
- A pine cone – a random item that just always seems to be kicking about in the house and garden and appearing in her hands
- A selection of soft toys that lay about on the living room furniture (but mostly on the floor?)
- Her brother’s Action Man because she always takes a shine to it
- A dinosaur – because the Dinosaurs always visit our house ✨
- A kaleidoscope which lives on the shelf and is taken down to explore now and then, it’s a familiar item.
- A plastic dolly – this dolly was given to Ms A when she stayed with a friend for 4 days with her sibling when we went away. Hopefully it will remind her that we always return.
- Her sister’s School uniform memory cushion that sits on the sofa
- Her big sister’s perfume because the house always stinks of it ?
I must admit I got some strange looks taking the basket into the hospital but Boo loved it and had a lovely time exploring. It really seemed to perk her up.
She dived straight in…
She recognised her siblings and it was beautiful watching her touch them…
She seemed to inspect everything.
She actually put the hat on!!!!
We placed her photos on the side.
And squirted the perfume around the room. You’d be mistaken for thinking you were in her sister’s bedroom!
She got to grips with everything just like she does at home. ?
It was a massive hit and she spent ages trashing exploring the basket. ?
I think she’s going to sleep well tonight feeling comfy cosy and surrounded by home. ?
It was such an easy thing to put together but crammed with love and familiarity. ?
We’ve also made another Boo’s Basket for exploring vegetables.